The word ‘podcast’ is derived from the two individual words ‘ipod’ and ‘broadcast’. Podcasts are generally large (20-80 MB) media files which are mostly in audio formats. Sometimes the podcasts can also be converted to video files. The files are easily downloadable and audiences typically listen on their phones or MP3 players while travelling, exercising, working, driving or walking.
Blogger Pat Flynn says that his podcast is one of the single biggest reasons for his success, with near a quarter of people he surveyed saying they found him through iTunes.
So, how can Podcasting be beneficial for SEO?
A new audience: You can reach a new audience through this media. As this is the new way of broadcasting online, it can attract a large number of people. They can download the files easily and listen to the audio whenever they want. The flexibility is appealing to the audience.
Relationship building with your listeners: The listeners should never be ignored. A continuous effort of rapport building with them should be maintained throughout.
Advertisement potential: This new media of advertisement is very affordable in nature. A public broadcasting system is very expensive to afford for an advertisement. Thus podcasting can be a simple solution to highlight your brand online. You can also earn some passive income by selling advertising on your podcast.
Customer feedback can be responded to: Customers play the most valuable part for the company’s profit. Their feedback is important and thus can be responded to through the podcasts. People love to hear their names broadcast online.
How can you SEO your podcasts?
After creating a Podcast file you will have to convert it to a SEO friendly format so that it attracts large number of visitors for your business. Here is what you should do to make your file SEO-friendly.
- Thoroughly research on your keywords and select them wisely. Then name your podcast according to these keywords.
- Focus more on the listeners who directly connect to your podcast.
- Ensure that your MP3 files contain proper ID3V2 tags. The ID3 tags should be enriched with effective keywords too.
- Summarize the description of each and every podcast and then make a blog post on it. The blog post must be catchy and interesting. It should be filled with relevant keywords and contain all the links and useful information that are referred to in the podcast.
- Spread your podcast sites through different podcast directories and search engines. Here are the most important podcast directories: iTunes Podcast Feed; Stitcher Feed; BlackBerry Feed
- All the people of your industry like other bloggers and experts must be made aware that you are providing podcasts. As it is a very new and unique form of advertising for your brand, it’s essential that you make the most of creating your brand identity.
- Interacting with others will be beneficial for podcasting. Renowned people connected to the web world can be interviewed and those podcasts can be added in your site. Use Call Recorder for Skype and Audacity.
- Transcribe your podcast into relevant keyword rich content. There are different transcription services available in the market where your MP3 file or the url can be converted into a word document.
Thus it is a cheaper way to promote your brand without investing heavily in any public broadcasting media. It can reach a large number of audiences and can provide portability for using it in different forms. It will be helpful for all and can bring a vast change in this wide arena of digital marketing. So let’s start podcasting!!!
If you want more information about podcasting and SEO or just podcasting in general, check out this link where Pat Flynn pretty much tells you everything you need to know in order to start a podcast.